This site is dedicated to the history of the Military, with a strong lean toward the USMC and American history. I hope that it is enjoyed please feel free to comment on any post or if you would like to see something here, ask and I will do my best.

camo tent

camo tent
Me in 85' with my TOW system

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Iraq as long as WWII

It has been reported that we have now been in Iraq as long as we were in WWII. While this is true on a base level, it seems that every one tends to forget that we have been in Germany for 64 years.
At first it was to "liberate", then for the next 15 years (give or take) we were there to stabilize the country. From then till the mid 90's we were in Germany to protect them from their evil neighbors, but now we are there t0 uhm..... (Well we have just been there for so long nobody cares any more)
I guess my point is that if you are going to count the occupation and the subsequent stabilization as the whole war I am a WWII vet. Not only a WWII vet but I am also a Spanish American war Vet, as we were still occupying the Philippines. That we are still there, and should we still be there is not the point of this post. I just want apples to apples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We should take in account the fact that we bombed Iraq every day for 8+ years prior to this venture and the butt kicking they recieved in GulfwarI